How about you?
Your events, training and resources
We were in Birmingham yesterday, for a conference day centred around modernising service delivery. As AI is doing all the time now, it took up more space on the agenda that originally anticipated months ago. But it wasn’t all AI all the time.
If you weren’t there, you missed the news that your President Elect is Carol Williams! Get ready for a 2024 President’s Conference in Birmingham.
Registration is open for the alumni coffee hour next week. Alumni or not, you are v. welcome to join us (at 1pm on Thursday 12 October to meet Tass Smith. She will be talking about re-designing Warwick’s noise nuisance service. Read her blog to prepare questions and discussion points.
If you are in or near Manchester on Thursday 7 December, Wigan’s chief executive Alison McKenzie-Folan will be joining us then. Do not miss this opportunity to hear her, she’s fantastic.
Empowering you to confidently confront data security threats
In a world where cyber threats are getting smarter, and compliance regulations getting tougher, how can the public sector ensure the security of its data?
Between 2021/22 local governments were among the top three sectors with reported data breaches*.
Discover Canon’s security offerings and safeguard your organisation from external threats.
Read the comic book
How resilient are you?
Resilience can set individuals and organisations apart. In Wednesday’s webinar, Aidan and Richard spoke about some habits that can help you strengthen your own resilience (personally and professionally).
You can watch the recording and browse through their presentation.
A few of the resources they mentioned are:
- App: How We Feel
- Ted Talks: How to make stress your friend by Kelly McGonigal
- YouTube: A Grateful Day with Brother David Steindl-Rast
- Heart Mind Institute’s resilience practice videos
- Tuesday 10 and 31 October: Managing and Motivating Remote Teams (CPD certified)
There are now 2 spaces available! If you’d like one let us know. Otherwise get yourself onto the next set of workshops in December
- Thursday 12 October: Alumni Coffee Hour
- Monday 16 October: Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (CPD certified)
- Thursdays 2 and 16 November: How to be an effective coach (CPD certified)
- Tuesday 7 November Introduction to Emotional Intelligence (CPD certified)
Training places are included in your organisational membership – subject to availability and membership level. If you have any questions or would like further information, please email Sara Razon.
On completion of training, don’t forget to claim your CPD points.
Adopt don’t adapt
This should be the mantra for ANY organisation moving systems to the cloud. To maximise the benefits of a cloud-based system’s cost and time efficiencies and flexibility, your organisation should change the way you work (adopt). Not change the system to continue working the way you did before (adapt).
Read more about this at Sandwell MBC
Are you making full use of your membership?
As part of your membership you can receive between 2 and 12 hours of FREE consultancy advice per year. To make use of your inclusive consultancy hours, get in touch or log in to My Account.
Visit Socitm Advisory
Join Jisc’s security conference
Socitm is working closely with Jisc to share effective practice and insight regarding cyber security, amongst our respective memberships.
Jisc is holding their flagship Security Conference in November: Tuesday 21 to Wednesday 22 November at ICC Wales and online on Thursday 23 November.
The annual event is a safe space to share and learn effective practice and hear from subject experts (inside and outside of Jisc). As a Socitm member you are welcome to get involved so more people can benefit from wider cyber insight and effective practice. Registration is free for the online conference day.
Grab your free seat
Events from Socitm and our partners
Meet up with your Socitm colleagues for great networking opportunities.
Next week or so…
- Tuesday 17 October Future Councils Roundtable [Exeter]
- Wednesday 18 October Local Digital Evaluation Survey – Explainer session
- Wednesday 18 October LOTI Apprentice Hub Launch [London]
- Wednesday 18 October Webinar: Responsible AI for modern enterprises
- Friday 20 October Webinar: AI Unleashed: The Data Control Blueprint
Missed a webinar? Past recordings are available to watch in the resource hub. Also, make sure to check out our regional events. There’s a mix of online and in-person meetings, so please feel free to join any that are outside your area.
Local Digital Evaluation study
The initial findings from our Local Digital Evaluation Survey, which has been completed by over 70 councils, will be presented on Wednesday 18 October.
Join us into the current digital and cyber maturity across three overarching areas:
- Organisational culture: fostering a digital-first culture and embracing change.
- Digital skills: the skillsets councils are developing to thrive in the digital age.
- Procurement and data: navigating procurement challenges and leveraging data for informed decision-making.
For your to do list: 1 report, data to dive into and a workshop to take part in
Things that cropped up during presentations and conversations in Birmingham yesterday:
- Report: Recruitment and retention strategies in local public services
- Data: UK Measures of National Well-being Dashboard
- Workshop: Diversity, equality and inclusion
Thank you for reading (or scrolling) this far! Just one more thing…
This week, in the spirit of Aidan’s resilience webinar dip your toe into guided meditation with the weekly 10-minute podcast First This – settle your mind, observe your breath and be gently lead through a meditation practice.