It looks like we will be working from home for some time to come. While some have benefitted and enjoyed this arrangement others have found it challenging. If you are managing a team of remote workers, a few important questions need to be answered.
- How will I get the best out of individuals?
- What is the best leadership style for my team?
- How do I know people are doing what they are supposed to be doing?
- What is the best way to support my team?
Duration: Two half-days
Sectors: Public and private
Career level: Managers and team leaders
Certification: CPD certified
In-person or virtual: Virtual
The aim of this Leadership Academy workshop is to provide attendees with practical guidance in order to support their staff and teams working remotely. There will be an opportunity to consider numerous tools and techniques that will help colleagues tackle the issues and challenges of managing remote teams. This workshop is a blend of sharing best practice with practical exercises where the attendees will share their relevant insights and discuss the implications that are context specific. The gap between the workshops will give participants the time to reflect on the tools, techniques and discussions and consider how they may apply the best practice to their own environments.
Session one: Creating a productive virtual working environment (half day)
- Virtual working pros and cons
- The virtual leader mindset
- Tech benefits and challenges
- Team roles and characteristics
- Using questioning to check levels of engagement
- The five dysfunctions of a team
- Building trust
- Culture: rules vs relationships
Session two: Managing your virtual staff effectively (half day)
- Choosing the right leadership style
- How virtual teams develop; creating a shared vision
- Setting goals and objectives
- Managing meetings
- Structuring a positive conversation
- Delivering effective feedback
- Successful remote delegation
- Creating collaboration
Benefits for the individual:
- Use management tools to achieve great results
- Discover insights into what motivates people
- Avoid the typical management mistakes
- Identify opportunities for quick wins
- Have motivating conversations
Benefits for the organisation:
- A better prepared virtual workforce
- Provision of support and guidance to work remotely
- Robust team working
- Improved productivity
- Focus on health and wellbeing
The workshop is open to all roles and services; it is not limited to personnel working within ICT or digital services.
We would encourage participants to:
- proactively participate in the workshop through sharing their ideas and experiences
- undertake group exercises
- be open to learn about the tools and techniques that are used
- follow-up on any actions and apply them to their own workplace